Focus e scope
Raca Journal accept unpublished works by researches aimed at topics that are relevant to the journal’s approach. It will be accepted original articles, articles on the review of the current literature, opinion articles, reviews of books/thesis and interviews, original and unpublished essays on topics of interest to the journal. Furthermore, it will be published, under the scientific editors’ criteria, letters to the editor, forums and communications.
It is a biannual publication of the Food, Nutrition, Health, and Culture Program (PALIN), by Fiocruz Brasilia. It aims at providing visibility to studies and researches, as well as contemplating different areas of knowledge, such as: social sciences, communication, economy, geography, history, public health, and human nutrition. Its strategy is to stimulate the synergic comprehension of the macro-structural, historic, social, political, and economic factors, and their consequences to the choices, behaviors, habits, beliefs, taboos, and eating practices of the human peoples and societies.
The Original and Unpublished Investigation Articles section publishes original work in compliance with the journal’s editorial line, submitted for publication by the authors’ spontaneous demand, followed by summaries structured in Portuguese, English, and Spanish. Scientific articles, resulting from empiric research, articles on the review of the current literature, and opinion articles will be published.
The Essays section will publish manuscripts based on well-developed, formal, discursive, and conclusive logical exposition. The author must develop argumentation based on empiric and bibliographic documentation, in a well-structured manner and with good interpretation.
The Reviews section will publish manuscripts of interest to the journal, aiming at highlighting thematically-pertinent works. The review must emphasize the relevance of the work to the field in which it is included, and also foster critical discussions about it. Merely descriptive reviews and plain summaries of the work’s argumentation will not be accepted.
The Narrative section will publish brief reports with maximum extension of 5 pages may contain images.
The manuscripts will go through a previous evaluation (desk review) by the Editorial Council to verify the adequacy of the contribution to the editorial line, analyze its adequacy to the instructions given to the authors established in this document, and its potential to publication.
In the next step, the manuscript will be evaluated adopting the peer-review system, in which members of the editorial council or ad hoc will analyze the scientific merit of the document. After receiving the assessments, the editor will decide on the continuance of the submission, which can be: acceptance of the article for publication, referral to author for redrafting, or justified rejection to the authors. The evaluation criteria are as follows: topicality, originality and relevance to the theme, scientific consistence, and respect to ethical standards.
Biannually, in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
Ethics in researches involving human subjects
The publication of articles related to the results of researches involving human subjects will comply with the ethical principles enclosed in the Declaration of Helsinki (1964, redrafted in 1975, 1983, 1989, 1996, 2000, and 2008), by the World Medical Association. Furthermore, the compliance with specific legislation (if any) of the country in which the research was developed, shall be considered.
Articles that present results of researches involving human subjects must include a clear statement of this compliance, in the last paragraph of the manuscript’s methodology section.
After the acceptance of the work for publication, all the authors must sign a participation and acceptance declaration, which will be provided by the journal’s editorial team.
Standards for the submission of articles
Raca Journal publishes only unreleased, original articles in digital format, which are not pending evaluation in any other journal simultaneously. The authors must declare these conditions in the submission process. If the simultaneous publication or submission is identified, the article will be rejected.
- Contributions in Portuguese, English or Spanish will be accepted.
- All the authors accepted for publication will be automatically placed in the journal’s consultants database, therefore compromising themselves to evaluate articles submitted in the themes concerning the published article.
- Front Page: in a separate file, the author must attach a front page with the following information: title of the article; identification of the author/authors: full name, degree, institution to which is linked, a link for their résumés listed with the Lattes system, address, telephone number, and e-mail.
- The full Title of the manuscript, presented in a concise and informative manner, must be in Arial font, font-size 12pt, bold and all caps, in Portuguese, English, and Spanish.
- The summary of the manuscript must be in Arial font, font-size 12pt, single-spaced. 250 words per paragraph, at most. Except for the Review, Interview, and Essays sections, the summary must be structured with the study’s objective, its methodology, results, and the conclusion.
- The keywords must be at least three and at most five, separated by semicolon.
- The body of the manuscript must be in Arial font, font-size 12pt, 1.5 spacing, and fully justified margins, with 20 pages at most and 10 pages at least, for the articles and essays, not considering the references. Reviews and Interviews shall be in five pages, at most. Tables and illustrations must be inserted in the body of the text, in a maximum number of five. The bold must be used, exclusively, to highlight subtitles or the divisions of the work. Always in font-size 12pt, they must be presented in caps and lowercase (only the first letter in caps).
- Quotations longer than three lines must be in Arial font, font-size 11pt, single-spaced, with a 4 cm indent from the left margin, no quotation marks. Quotations related to norms, laws, decrees, and others, longer than three lines, must be in Arial font, font-size 11pt, single-spaced, and centered, with a 3 cm indent from both margins, no quotations marks.
- It is recommended that the images come with the copyright credits, in JPG format, no use of BMP files. It is also recommended that the image size in bytes be the lower possible, to avoid problems when transferring the work through the internet.
- The manuscript’s text, when in the original article format, must contain an introduction, of methodology, discussion, results, and final considerations. Essays must be structured in introduction, development and conclusion. The structure for Reviews and Interviews is free.
- The identification of the author/authors, related in the bibliographic reference, must be indicated in the text by Arabic numbers between parentheses and superscripted: (1) (2) (3).
- Explanatory notes: must be reduced to the minimum possible, and presented in the pages’ footnote, indicated in the text in Roman numbers and superscripted.
References: the references (quoted throughout the text) must present complete data and follow the Vancouver Norms for scientific Works. Each reference must be written in Arial font, font-size 11pt, single-spaced, no spacing between references, but with a 6pt spacing after the reference paragraph. The bibliographic references must be listed according to order of appearance in the text.
Single author book
Author. Title of the book. Edition. Place of publication: Editorial; year. In this case, it is not necessary to specify the first edition, only from the second on.
Author/authors. Title of the book. Edition. Place of publication: Editorial; year. Electronic address.
Article published in journal
Author/authors of the article. Title of the article. Name of journal. Day month year; Section: page (column).
Article published in scientific journal
Author/authors of the article. Title of the article. International abbreviation of the journal. Year; volume (number): initial-final page of the article. If there are more than six authors, mention the first six followed by the abbreviation “et al”.
Article published in electronic scientific journal
Author/authors of the article. Title of the article. Name of the journal, year [date of consultation]; volume (number): [extension/pages]. Electronic address.
Author/authors of the publication. Title of the publication. Year [date of consultation]. Electronic address.
Work presented in event – Symposiums, Journeys, Conferences, Seminars, Meetings, Workshops, Colloquia, among others
Type of publication, number, and name of the event; date (day month year); city and country where the event took place. City of publication: Editor or Institution responsible for the publication; year of the edition (it is not Always the same as the event).
Title of the law/decree/order... (Name of the Official Bulletin, number, date of publication).
Institution/author. Title [online database]. Place of publishing: Editor; Date of creation, [date of consultation]. Electronic address.
Author/authors. Title of the video. Place of editing: Editor; year. Video title. Local edition: Publishing Company; year. Applicable to all the audio-visual content.
Monograph, dissertation, or thesis
Author. Title. (subtitle, if any) Type of document. City: Institution where it was defended; year.
- The submission of the manuscript shall be done, exclusively, in the Journal’ website, at the electronic address <https://raca.fiocruz.br>.
- Additional Information:
- No submission, evaluation, or publication fees will be charged.
- The opinions expressed and the integrity of the articles’ content are of the exclusive responsibility of their authors.
- Exceptionally, there will be invitations for publication, which will be formulated exclusively by the Journal's editors.
The authors must inform any potential conflicting interests, including political and/or financial interests, associated with patents or property, and the manufacturer’s supply of materials and/or inputs and equipment used in the study.
Each author’s individual collaborations should be specified according to the overall norms of the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals - ICMJE, considering the following aspects: 1. Conception and development of the Project or data analysis and interpretation; 2. Article’s drafting or critical review relevant to the intellectual content; 3. Final approval of the article’s version to be published; 4. Be responsible for all aspects of the work, assuring the accuracy and integrity of any part of the work. These four conditions must be met to the fullest.
Potential acknowledgments include institutions that in some way allowed or facilitated the research and/or persons that collaborated with the study, but failed to meet the authorship criteria.
Raca Journal holds the property rights of the articles, reviews, essays, and interviews it publishes.